[xubuntu-users] Login Arrangements

Keith W kwithey at btconnect.com
Mon Jun 2 12:07:03 UTC 2014

On 02/06/14 12:26, Rob Ward wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been having great satisfaction moving from XP to xubuntu and
> after three previous computers, have finally migrated my laptop over
> to xubuntu.  As I was doing the conversion I created my own user
> profile, and the installation has been very successful.  The laptop
> however is shared with my wife. It is her main computer for serious
> work and I occasionally use it in the lounge room when required, for
> reasons of social interaction. (I pretend to watch her murder
> mysteries while tinkering).
>
> The question is how can I make her login the default, so when she uses
> it she does not have to change users, and it goes directly to her
> account. At the moment it defaults to mine.  I would prefer a login
> screen like in XP where each person is shown with an avatar in a list
> and a simple click takes that person to their chosen login.  Failing
> that, I would like to know how to set up for her the easier option of
> booting directly to her account, and I will do the "change user" bit
> on the odd occasion I use the machine.
>
>  If there is some option I have missed that makes this trivial, I
> apologise and plead newbie status, however I have explored the
> "Settings Manager", "Session and Startup", and "Users and Groups" gui
> screens settings in many and various combinations but not have
> achieved anything as smooth as I would like.
>
> Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> --
>
> *Rob Ward*
> Lake Tyers Beach, 3909
> Lake Tyers Beach Website <http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au>
> XP to XUbuntu - The journey, join me!
> <http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au/XP2XU.html>

I assume you set your name up as the admin user, and hers as a 'normal'
user.  I did a similar thing using Ubuntu, and kept the requirement for
a password for admin, but set the normal user as auto login.  It now
always defaults to her login.  Not a planned action on my part, but
works well for my situation, and may work with Xubuntu.

Keith