[xubuntu-users] WiFi on "Try It"?

Robert Miner bobminer40 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:12:36 UTC 2014

Fred -- thank you so much for your replies and the welcome!  I'm such a
newbie to Linux-like stuff that I'm even having to learn how to operate the
computer as a "terminal" to get access to command-line prompts.  I
definitely have Broadcom cards in my two old Dells (one is a 2006 like
yours) running XP.  We (mostly my wife!) and I recently sprung for a new
computer with W 8.1.  I went through the learning process and then tutored
my wife, and she loves it.  I just hate to throw away old computers that
are still working, but I also don't want to risk using them on the Internet
with XP.

I think you're probably right about the Broadcoms, and I need to install a
different driver.  However, on reply says Ubuntu works fine on wireless
(for that user), even though Xbuntu does not (nor does Lubuntu, which I
tried fist).  Might give Ubuntu a try before I start playing with command
lines!  The only reason I went to the other versions is that I really don't
need an entire suite (Libre), just Abiword.  My 2Gb of RAM probably would
handle Ubuntu.

On another note, does this forum work stictly on individual replies via
email, or is there a way to see topics and threads, and to search to see if
questions have already been answered?  Thanks again for your help and
patience with this 73-year old!  Bob