[xubuntu-users] How to get rid of do-hicky on desktop

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jun 1 01:02:07 UTC 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014 23:42:08 +0100 (BST)
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 May 2014, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have Ubuntu running both Xfce and Openbox (one at a time,
> > obviously). On both Xfce and Openbox, on the right of the desktop,
> > is this Windows 8 type bunch of icons that grow after you mouse
> > over them. I have no use for them, they're a distraction, and cut
> > down on the clickable desktop area.
> >
> > How do I get rid of those icons on the right of the desktop?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
>
> "on the right of the desktop" - I think you are referring to the
> lower panel which on your desktop has been located on the right.
> Go to Settings manager->Panel and delete the panel. I stick with the
> one panel on my desktop and have it on the bottom of the screen
> deleting the 'icons' one each time I install a new release.
>
> james

Oops, I sure screwed up *that* description, didn't I?

Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/empty_openbox_workspace.png

It's not a panel. It's some sort of functionality sewn into the
desktop. It happens both on Xfce, Openbox (which has no panels), and
I'd assume all other window managers though I haven't tried them.

Thanks,

SteveT

Thanks,

SteveT