[xubuntu-users] mousepad wiped out file content when font change tried

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 20:58:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 01:32:45 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Editing a file in Mousepad I wanted to change to Italic font. I opened
> View->Select Font, selected Italic and clicked OK. And...
>
> Suddenly all text disappeared. I tried to close the file and, quite
> logically in this situation, selected DO NOT SAVE when I was prompted.
>
> When I reopened the file it was JUST PLAIN EMPTY. To my horror I found
> that Mousepad did not do an automatic backup either.
>
> Well folks, I'm in Linux for a long time but this is something new.
> Quite an aCHIEVEMENT. :-( Very impressive. :-(
>
> For last several days I've been working almost exclusively in Xubuntu
> environment testing it. I say, I liked it very much, and I was seriously
> considering switching to it. But know I'm not quite sure in this
> anymore.
> Does XFCE generally has such type of bugs or it's just Xubuntu?
>
> And the most important... Is there any way to recover the loss?!! Well,
> I'm asking just being totally desperate. :-( A day of work has been
> vanished! :-(

Today after booting Xubuntu I found that any text file on my system is
"empty", if opened in Mousepad. Since this simply could not be true I've
opened the same files with Leafpad and certainly confirmed that all files
were just fine. And this, to my great relief, applies to my yesterday
"lost" file.

So, the problem IS in Mousepad. I wonder, why this thing was selected as
a default text editor?

I'm not going to use neither Mouspad nor Leafpad but would be curious to
figure it out what's wrong with this thing. Any suggestions, pleas?