[xubuntu-users] How to organize your disk to simplify reinstalls

Rog linux.rog at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 20:39:49 UTC 2014

Michael,

I've found that there are few dot files that I need to keep when updating. If
on transfers them over after a new install, there's the potential for
incompatibilities.

I keep /home on a separate partition and back it up before a fresh install,
which I prefer to doing an upgrade for major releases. (I also keep backups
and VMs on a separate partition). I do a custom install / partitioning and
tell it to mount the home partition as "/home"

After an update, here's folder and files I replace with old backed-up files.
Some of these are specific to my system and reflect install of software not
part of a "normal" distro:

    .dropbox
    .filezilla
    .gimp (if its the same version as what was installed with upgrade)
    .jalbum
    .jedit
    to keep defaults for FireFox,

        .mozilla -- especially the folder <strange name>.default which has
        custom settings, etc.
        <strange name> is a firefox generated name consisting of a string of
        characters generated randomly to help maintain security across installs.

    to keep recognized ssh hosts

        .ssh/known_hosts

    .VirtualBox

I do this before starting applications like T-bird and FireFox - new installs
will create new defaults.

I edit the new .bashrc, to add-in aliases that I have created, to avoid the
possibility of creating conflicts with possible new content in .bashrc for
upgrades.

/roger