[xubuntu-users] System can't boot on kernel after update. Can you help?

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Fri Feb 21 21:44:05 UTC 2014

I have a 12.04.4 system that's been running fine for over a year. A few
days ago, I did an update and the system stopped being able to boot on
the new kernel. So I selected the previous kernel and everything worked
fine. Then, to test, I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade while
running that kernel and THAT one stopped being able to boot. Now, I am a
few kernel updates back (currently using .55) and am terrified to do any
updates!

When I look in the Xorg.0.log file, the only thing I'm seeing that seems
out of place is an entry that says:

[13.221] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal error.

and

[13/222] ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

It's odd because it only happens on specific versions of the kernel that
I've done an apt-get upgrade while running. The kernel I'm running on
now will cease booting if I were to apt-get upgrade.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?