[xubuntu-users] synaptic is not opening from the panel

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Feb 18 19:19:04 UTC 2014

You should use gksudo instead of sudo. However, I often run synaptic
after su or sudo -i in a terminal emulation and also don't use gksudo,
but I wonder why you don't use gksudo for a launcher.

I suspect you didn't checked https://bugs.launchpad.net/ already? If
synaptic is running and you only get this warning, the warning likely is
irrelevant.

How do you setup sudo? Does it e.g. expect a password? What kind of
launcher did you generate?

Could please post the launcher file, by
cat ~/.config/xfce4/panel/[search with e.g. Thunar for the complete path
to the launcher file], e.g.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$
cat /home/rocketmouse/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-19/13927504751.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=TEST
Comment=sudo pacman -Syu
Exec=sudo pacman -Syu
Icon=
Path=
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=false

Regards,
Ralf

PS:
Please folks, don't top post and don't use HTML.