[xubuntu-users] Question about the Software Center in 14.04

Jordan florentior at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 11:25:14 UTC 2014

OT again ... personally, I think it's important to introduce CLI basics
relatively soon.  A new user can go back to GUI if desired, but when the
SHTF really only the CLI will get you out of trouble (ironically, the
CLI can also make things much worse.)  A new user can lean the basics of
apt-get and then go back to synaptic if she prefers.  The analogy I give
is that everyone should learn how to drive a manual transmission car.
Nothing wrong with preferring to drive automatic -- until one is
designated driver or in an emergency and the car's stickshift.

Jordan

On 02/18/2014 12:49 AM, Fred Roller wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 04:15 PM, Benjamin Shadwick wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie
>> <mailto:peter at silmaril.ie>> wrote:
>>
>>     I also do not understand any problem with Synaptic. I use apt-get for
>>     single installs or non-repo packages, but Synaptic wins with the
>>     ability
>>     to select multiple packages and have them installed together, and
>>     with a
>>     much easier interface than Software Center.
>>

> My preference is for CLI as well but for the folks I introduce to
> Linux via Xubuntu the Software Center is a key comfort point. "You
> mean just click and it installs?" type reaction is not uncommon and
> very helpful. Later they start learning the more advanced options like
> ppd and CLI and work in conjunction with the Software Center.

<snip>