[xubuntu-users] Question about the Software Center in 14.04

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Mon Feb 17 19:39:43 UTC 2014

On 02/17/2014 06:11 AM, Benjamin Shadwick wrote:
> I never understood the problem with Synaptic. It's pretty powerful
> for a package management GUI.

I also do not understand any problem with Synaptic. I use apt-get for
single installs or non-repo packages, but Synaptic wins with the ability
to select multiple packages and have them installed together, and with a
much easier interface than Software Center.

> Software Center, on the other hand, is not that great.

It's OK for beginners who only install one package at a time.

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
> <lyz at ubuntu.com>wrote:
[...]
>> No need to worry, it's not going away in 14.04 (indeed, I haven't
>> heard anything about it going away at all).

Pity :-)

The BIG missing feature in all package managers is the inability to list
all packages which you have added/deleted since system installation
which were NOT part of the system installation.

In other words, NOT upgrades, but packages you have installed manually
in addition to the system (ISO) default (plus any dependencies they need).

It ought to be possible to generate such a list at the press of a
button, so that you can export it to other newly-installed machines, so
that they can easily be brought up to the same level.

I believe it is possible to do this in apt, but I haven't found how.

///Peter