[xubuntu-users] playing DVD

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 03:53:06 UTC 2014

On 02/11/2014 02:49 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> I have installed Xubuntu 12.10 and now I am unable to play a DVD.
> There is an error message DVDRead could not open disc "/dev/dvd"
>
> Google is no help so could someone here help, please?
>
> Norman

Have you installed the restricted extras:

from command line:
     sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras

or look for the "Xubuntu Restricted Extras package" in the Software center.

/and/ after installation run the libdvdcss script:

     sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

You can get complete info at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Hope this was helpful.

Fred