[xubuntu-users] Recommendations For A Great Text Editor?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 8 14:35:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 07:34:28 -0600, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> The new alternative to SublimeText refugees is Github's Atom editor,
> which works on Linux great and is extremely powerful.

I didn't know it and build it a few minutes ago.

After opening there is a message:

"To help us improve Atom, we anonymously track usage metrics. See the
[atom/metrics](https://github.com/atom/metrics) package for details on
what information is tracked and for instructions on how to disable it."

So I visited the link:

"Metrics package Build Status

A package that reports usage information to Google Analytics.

If you do not want this information reported, disable this package from
the Metrics section of the Settings view (cmd-,).

Collected Data

A unique identifier that is generated by computing the SHA-1 of the
machine's MAC address.
The screen width and height
The version of Atom being used
The name of each item opened in a pane such as EditorView,
SettingsView, and MarkdownPreviewView
The amount of time the current window was open for
The amount of time the current window took to load
The amount of time the app took to launch"

I disabled the package, but I'm pissed off, because it was enabled when
I started Atom for the first time. I've got zero tolerance for Google
Analytics. This editor seems to be very clunky, it takes much time to
build it and even long time to open it, even when it's opened for the
second time.

Anyway, perhaps I'll test it.

I still vote for Sublime Text 2 Build 2221, aka 2.0.2 and Pluma 1.8.1.

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Pull a Homer -- to succeed despite idiocy." - The Simpsons