[xubuntu-users] 14.10, keyboard map seems wrong for GUI login

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Dec 5 15:50:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 08:51:00PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I have just installed xubuntu 14.10 on a Fujitsu Esprimo system.  It's
> all working quite well *except* that my password isn't recognised at
> the GUI login.
>
> I can login successfully if I switch to a text mode console, so I do
> know my password.  I can also login successfully at the GUI login if I
> use the on-screen keyboard.  It's just using the physical keyboard at
> the GUI login that doesn't work.
>
> Having logged in the keyboard mapping seems right.
>
> So it looks as if the keyboard is sending the wrong codes *only* at
> the GUI login.  My password does have some non-alphanumeric characters
> in it.

Well I'm more and more convinced it's simply a lightdm bug.  I
installed gdm instead and everything works right, reverted to lightdm
and the bug comes back.  I.e. gdm uses the 'system default keyboard'
setting and lightdm doesn't use it.  It seems to me to be a new bug in
14.10 though.

--
Chris Green