[xubuntu-users] [Bulk] Re: 14.10, keyboard map seems wrong for GUI login

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:35:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 11:48:28 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#GDM_keyboard_layout
> >
> > So, X keyboard settings can be used for the display manager's
> > greeters.
> >
> The link is for archlinux though, as opposed to xubuntu.  Xubuntu uses
> lightdm.

What ever Linux distro and whatever common DM is used, the X keyboard
settings used by the greeter can be set up by xorg.conf.

JFTR I'm using Arch and *buntu with lightdm. Indeed, my *buntu installs
don't have a xorg.conf entry for the keyboard, but you can add one.
If you won't test xorg.conf, you perhaps should search the bugtracker.
maybe this or something else does solve the issue:

"Here's an easy fix:
1) open terminal
2) run ibus-setup
3) open the extra settings (the last tab)
4) check the "use system keyboard layout" checkbox

Now, how about you guys (yes, you, Canonical) make this the default
settings? All I know about it is that it (probably) stores its config
in gconf, but I cannot find it, so I cannot give you a patch."

"@jbelton1950

I found the dconf property to configure (for those who don't want to
use ibus-setup or want to fix this distro-scale).

Open dconf-editor and open the desktop.ibus.general folder. Make sure
the "use-system-keyboard-layout" property is enabled. This will resolve
the conflict between ibus and your keyboard settings.

Editing the "engines-order" and "preload-engines" won't do much help as
these (supposedly) are re-generated on each login." -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-keyboard/+bug/1240198