[xubuntu-users] 14.10, keyboard map seems wrong for GUI login

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Dec 5 10:36:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 11:28:16AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 09:39:43 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > >
> > > Add something that fits to your keyboard to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> > >
> > > $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
> > > Section "InputClass"
> > >        Identifier "keyboard"
> > >        MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
> > >        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> > >        #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
> > >
> > Why is this needed in 14.10 but not in 14.04 though?
>
> I don't know if it's needed, but I set it up this way for all distros
> and what ever display manager, WM and/or DE I use.

I've not had an xorg.conf file for some years now, it's not supposed
to be necessary any more.

> What display manager did you use with 14.04 and what with 14.10?

Default that comes with xubuntu installation, I change the colours
etc. quite a lot but that's all.

> > On my 14.04 systems I get my (specified at installation) UK keyboard
> > layout everywhere, including the GUI login.
>
> In case of need, also if you're booting into a tty session, instead of
> starting a X session?

The keyboard layout is correct for text logins using CTRL/ALT/Fx, is
that what you mean?

> > On the new 14.10 system I get the UK keyboard everywhere *except* the
> > GUI login.
>
> After login the DE's session is started and the keyboard layout is
> chosen by the DE, in this case Xfce. Before the session starts the
> keyboard setup has to be provided by something else, e.g. by X
> settings.
>
> Note! Different users might use different keyboard settings.

Yes, but the keyboard setting at login should be the one chosen at
installation, and it isn't.

Also doesn't the GUI login run 'before' X starts, X is actually
started for the specific user who has logged in.  So changing the
settings in xorg.conf shouldn't really be relevant to the GUI login.
In the old days it would be configured in xdm, gdm or whatever but
they're not so separate any more.

--
Chris Green