[xubuntu-users] 14.10, keyboard map seems wrong for GUI login

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 5 10:28:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 09:39:43 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 12:21:46AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 21:12:50 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > > How/where can I set the keyboard mapping for login?
> >
> > Add something that fits to your keyboard to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> >
> > $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
> > Section "InputClass"
> >        Identifier "keyboard"
> >        MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
> >        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> >        #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
> >
> Why is this needed in 14.10 but not in 14.04 though?

I don't know if it's needed, but I set it up this way for all distros
and what ever display manager, WM and/or DE I use.

What display manager did you use with 14.04 and what with 14.10?

> On my 14.04 systems I get my (specified at installation) UK keyboard
> layout everywhere, including the GUI login.

In case of need, also if you're booting into a tty session, instead of
starting a X session?

> On the new 14.10 system I get the UK keyboard everywhere *except* the
> GUI login.

After login the DE's session is started and the keyboard layout is
chosen by the DE, in this case Xfce. Before the session starts the
keyboard setup has to be provided by something else, e.g. by X
settings.

Note! Different users might use different keyboard settings.