[xubuntu-users] Can't upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 17:56:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried this and I get the Ubuntu upgrade, not Xubuntu.
>
> Is it possible to do a straight upgrade from Xubuntu 12.04 to 14.04,
> or need I re-install from a release medium?

After consultation elsewhere, I proceeded with the upgrade.

Unfortunately, after it finished "successfully" processing most of the
packages (a whole slew went by with errors I couldn't catch and don't
know where to check, none of which stopped the upgrade or were flagged
as critical), upon reboot the system got stuck in grub-rescue (which
has no help facility I could find and is thus, to me, unusable).

I had to install from the DVD anyway.  That also had its interesting
glitches, but on the third boot it came up and is now running fairly
well.

This underscores why I have never done a release upgrade between major
versions of any OS before - I've always reinstalled.  (When I was
using Windows, that was necessary anyway, but even CentOS was better
reinstalled - I don't remember if they had an upgrade between major
releases option.)

When I have time to do my home computer, that will also be my choice.

MR