[xubuntu-users] Grub problems

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 19 23:03:50 UTC 2014

On 04/19/2014 09:13 PM, gridcube at gmail.com wrote:
> Place the usb drive in the usb port. Use its grub to load the system. Install boot-repair in your system. Remove the usb drive. Start boot-repair. Use it to install grub on the proper drive.

Thank you for your reply, however the problem that I've created seems to
be a little more difficult to repair.

I followed some information that I found on a Ubuntu forum that was
supposed to put the boot loader on the internal disk drive.
Unfortunately I now can no longer bring up the Xubuntu desktop and
instead I'm left with a console prompt "grub>". This occurs with the USB
stick plugged in. Without the USB stick I'm left with only a flashing
cursor. So it would seem that I've damaged the boot loader on the USB stick.

The simplest approach would be to reinstall, yet again, and then install
boot-repair. The problem with that is I've already used a big chunk of
my monthly Internet allowance.

So, how do I either reverse my actions, difficult because I can't find
the exact command that I used, or move from the grub prompt to a working
system again?

--
Regards,
Phil