[xubuntu-users] Grub problems

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 19 10:44:48 UTC 2014

Thank you for reading this.

I managed to install 14.04 from the mini.iso but the boot loader was
installed on the USB stick instead of the internal drive. The internal
drive is SDB and the USB stick is SDA. During the installation process
the boot loader is installed on SDA and I don't recall that a choice as
given.

Anyway, I attempted to install grub on the internal drive and now when
the system boots I'm left with a command line prompt like this "grub>".
Entering "boot" returns an error message something like "you need to
load the kernel first".

Boot-repair looks like the answer but I don't have a working CD drive
which is why I had to mess around with a USB stick in the first place.

It's been a long day, can anyone offer any help?

--
Regards,
Phil