[xubuntu-users] Help needed with Xubuntu and audio CDs

Tom Williams tomdkat at comcast.net
Thu Apr 17 01:53:15 UTC 2014

Hi!   This is my first time posting to the list.  :)  I asked for
assistance with this problem I'm dealing with on Ubuntuforums.org but
didn't get any responses.  So, I'll try my luck here.  :)

I recently installed XUbuntu 13.04 on a system for a friend of mine. The
system had been running Windows XP and the hard drive died. So, I put in
a new hard drive and installed XUbuntu 13.04 on it. Then, I manually
upgraded it to 13.10. XUbuntu runs very well on the system and most
things work except for when I put an audio CD in the optical drive. An
icon entitled "Audio disc" appears on the desktop, but the CD doesn't
appear in Rhythmbox, Banshee, or Clementine. I _can_ see the CD in Sound
Juicer and in the default XUbuntu media player (I forget the name, but
it starts with 'P').

I've installed ubuntu-restricted-extras and xubuntu-restricted-extras to
no avail.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...