[xubuntu-users] White Screen at CD boot

Wee Dram a3c63608 at telus.net
Wed Apr 9 17:50:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am trying to install Xubuntu on my old laptop. It is a Toshiba Satellite
5000 running a Pentium III at 1.10 Ghz with 512 MB RAM and a 37.5 GB
Hard-drive. It is presently running XP. It has a NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go
(Toshiba) video card.

I want to first try it without installing but I'm having problems getting
past the first steps.

In summary: I burned a CD. I tried it on the computer but the screen went
white after a few moments. I tried the CD on a newer Toshiba and it seems to
work fine. After checking various help sources, I was able to get to the
boot menu on the older computer and try a few options there:

Deleting the 'quiet splash' command

Choosing the nomodeset

Adding the following, individually, to the boot options lineAdding
i915.modset=0

xforcevesa

fb=false

vga=771

The final result of doing each of these was the same: a white screen with
lots of CD activity for several minutes (as if the whole process is
proceeding) and then no CD activity.

I am a total novice with this kind of thing so any and all suggestions of
next steps are welcome.

Regards,

Ross