[xubuntu-users] Integrate Thunderbird/Google Calendar with panel

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 09:02:28 UTC 2014

On 04/04/2014 11:07 AM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> you can launch orage usign:
>
> orage /path/to/ical.ical
>
> and the calendar will be filled by the ical file, you just have to
> figure out how to generate it from your program

So far:

To create the .ical file suggestions led to mainly creating a Network
calendar in TB which pointed to a local file.  The other option is to
export the file.  Trying to point orage to the web link .ical with
google error-ed with:

** (orage:6585): WARNING **: Can not do import without dbus. import
failed file=[link]

neither private nor public worked.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806472 this link, though old,
gave some good insight to the inner working which culminated into
several observations and insights.

1. Despite a demand for integration for any calendar solution which
integrates within Ubuntu none seems to be forth coming.  I have not
looked to see if anything addresses this in the upcoming 14.04 release.

2. Though xfce used to integrate with gnome applets; due to changes in
gnome this no longer applies and the one fix their was in the package
"evolution-mirror" no longer works, available at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/evolution-mirror/ .
My note taking leaves a lot to desire so I apologize as I get used to
this lack of specific details.  Most of what I found was from 2012 and
before when evolution was still the email client and integrated with
gnome clock there-by allowing the noted work arounds which were found.

3. Using Orage was a popular solution to some degree but did not result
in a bi-directional integration. As I mentioned before the solution
pointed to an .ical file which was either created as a network calendar
pointing to a local file or an exported file.

4. Most of what I read felt that a rewrite of the gnome clock API to
integrate with more than the evolution-data-server is the best solution
as it doesn't re-invent the wheel; just puts new rims on 'em.

Again the solutions being offered required the installation of either
evolution or sunbird to work. Neither of which I felt was an option as
it defeated the purpose of not bloating the system and installing a
program just to act as go between two other programs seemed counter
intuitive.

If I knew how to code I would look to help in this capacity by writing
my own applet, either for google calendar or the aforementioned API clock.

I am still on the hunt for a solution because other systems integrate
too readily for the community to ignore.  Thank you Bruno for your
suggestion and I feel it will work for anyone who keeps a local calendar
but as mentioned mine syncs across devices.

Awaiting any corrections or advice, thanks.
Fred