[xubuntu-users] How to stop NTFS partition from automatically mounting

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 21 15:50:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 08:23 -0700, Lee Gold wrote:
> Using 13.04. My XP ntfs partiton automatically mounts at bootup. I do
> not see a line for it in fstab. I uninstalled ntfs-3g but it still
> mounts read only with a desktop icon that I don't know how to remove.
>
> How do I stop automounting? How do i remove the icon for it from the
> desktop?
>
> The best thing would be to reinstall ntfs-3g so I write capabilites for
> it but still  not  have it automount. How to do this?

It depends on what you want to get. To get rid of auto-mounting one way
is to remove gvfs.

If you open Thunar > Edit > Preferences... > Advanced you can disable
Volume Managment.

If you're willing to read much and learn, you can configure nearly
everything by different ways.

Menu > Settings > Setting Manager > Desktop > Icons does provide at
least if something should be shown or not on the desktop.