[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu very slow boot or freeze?

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Sun Sep 15 17:52:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 09:23 -0700, Lee Gold wrote:
> > Is there a log file which potentially shows what's going on and could
> > give a hint for a fix?
>
> "/var/log/boot.log  ---  System boot log
>  /var/log/dmesg     ---  print or control the kernel ring buffer" -
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/91286/how-to-see-log-to-find-a-boot-problem
>
> Other logs are important too, e.g.
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> and perhaps, unlikely now,
> /home/_your_account_/.xsession-errors
> too.

I think it was a bios issue to a degree. I had two video cards, one
built-in the motherboard and one in a pci slot. Xubuntu started to "not
see" the external card at some point, it booted but never showed a
desktop. No tweaking of the bios fixed it. Maybe there was an X config
file edit to fix, but, I removed the external card and the problem when
away.