[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu - my favourite

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 04:08:40 UTC 2013

Another Xubuntu lover, I came to Linux from Unix.  I have never used
Windows as my main OS, coming from a mainframe/minicomputer
background.  I used early macs for their graphics, but had a Unix
machine at home starting around 1984.  First, SYSV from AT&T, then
ESIX.  About the time that support dried up, I read about Caldera's
Linux and never looked back.

My main distros were Caldera then briefly RedHat/Fedora then Gentoo
and finally Ubuntu.  I was in a couple of universities as student and
then teacher from 1995 to 2011, but fortunately both of them also used
Solaris or Linux in their main labs. At home, I'd have stayed with
Ubuntu except for Unity.  I don't own a tablet, and probably never
will, so I don't need or want a tablet interface.  I know just enough
about them to help my wife on her Windows 8 laptop.  I went to Xubuntu
to escape Unity, and feel like I'm home again.

I do have a laptop that dual boots Win 7 and Xubuntu.  The Win 7 is
solely to run Adobe Design Premium -- mostly Dreamweaver, which does
not play well in a VM.

I don't need any new paradigms, interfaces, or managers.  I've been
adapting to new technologies continuously since around 1960, and I
know how to do that, but it's no longer a good use of my time and
energy.  I want a stable usable environment in order to concentrate on
other things.

Great job, devs.

--
Kevin O'Gorman