[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu - my favourite

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 14:13:49 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 15:03, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> I've been all over the Linux landscape and, I have to say, I keep coming
> back to Xubuntu. Originally, I chose it because I was running an older
> laptop that didn't have much power. Xubuntu ran smoothly when its
> heavier cousins didn't. Now, I have much better hardware but, I figure,
> why put the heavier desktops on them just for the glitz? Xubuntu lets me
> do everything I want to do simply and with all the power I need. Plus, I
> know I'm squeezing every single bit of power out of my machine.
>
> I have no reason to go to anything but Xubuntu. I develop software,
> chat, watch movies, compose music, edit videos, everything and I've
> never run into a problem. Why would I ever go anywhere else? :-)
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

I have always used fairly new and reasonably powerful computers, so that
wasn't the reason I first tried xfce. But when I did I liked it. Looking
around, as I said before, I found that xfce, when it was available, was
normally not the main desktop manager for the distro, but it was 'also
available'. Apart from everything else about Xubuntu, I like the fact
that xfce is the only DM. Just the one thing to concentrate on.

And I also am not interested in all the glitz and bling that some of the
heavier distros provide. Can't see the point myself. So I now use a new
laptop which is quite powerful and Xubuntu goes like the clappers. As
you said, why go anywhere else?

Neil