[xubuntu-users] Sound indicator greyed out in Xubuntu 13.10

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 02:33:18 UTC 2013

On 10/26/2013 10:05 PM, Benjamin Shadwick wrote:
> I just completed an upgrade from Xubuntu x64 13.04 to 13.10 using
> do-release-upgrade.
>
> Everything seems fine, except that the sound/audio/volume indicator
> (looks like a speaker) on the indicator panel is greyed out. If I click
> it, a tiny popup appears that is about 3 pixels tall and is empty (as
> far as I can tell), when I used to get a volume slider in 13.04.
>
> Note that audio itself is working fine; I can control the volume using
> the PulseAudio Volume Control application and hear sounds in various
> desktop applications and in command-line tests.
>
> Any idea what's going on? Thanks!

Check
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-sound/+bug/1208204:

"For those looking for a temporary workaround, look at
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service and change the Exec line

Exec=/usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service".

Also check in Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application
Autostart, Volume Control (Show desktop volume control).

HTH.

--
Regards,
Bill