[xubuntu-users] Raid Support in Xubuntu?

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 16:21:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Rog <linux.rog at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I tried helping a friend re-build his system using Xubuntu 12.04.3.
> Installs failed. He had the same trouble with Unity, etc. We used the
> "alternate CD" for one try at installing, having read that is necessary for
> Raid.
>
> Is Raid supported in Xunbutu and will it be continued?
>
> My friend concluded from other sources of info that Raid support has been
> dropped from Ubuntu "because most users don't use it."
>
> He used mdadm to try to fix earlier install attempts. I have read that
> mdadm runs as part of palimpsest / disk-utility. We could "see" Raid setups
> (he has two) during install using the install attempt during "manual"
> partitioning. We even put / and /root on separate physical partitions
> outside of the Raid arrays.
>
> He has also had trouble with getting grub to install properly. The install
> would seemingly go correctly until the last steps and bomb when grub was
> being installed.
>
> /Roger
>

>From what I've seen, Ubuntu and Xubuntu are dropping the alternate install
cds, not RAID support.  Basically that means if you want RAID on a desktop,
you will have to either install from a server CD and add in the desktop
packages (not quite as hard as it sounds), install from netboot, or switch
to RAID after a "regular" install.

I have used this guide:

http://www.tolaris.com/2008/10/01/moving-your-linux-root-partition-to-raid/

many time successfully to move a single drive install over to RAID.
 Depending on what you think is easier, you could either just use the
regular Xubuntu install CD, install to a single drive and follow that guide
to move it over to RAID, or try to start from an ubuntu server CD, then
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop.

Personally, I would install to the single drive then move it over to RAID.
 It always seems that adding xubuntu-desktop after the fact either leaves
something out or isn't quite as "integrated".