[xubuntu-users] 12.04 crash!!!

"Gérald Jean" gerald.jean at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 25 15:14:04 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'am running Xubuntu 12.04, ever since it is out, on an older machine with 1 Gb
of RAM, little problems usually.

A few days ago I had four pieces of software open: Emacs, Chromium, Thunderbird
and Libre Office. In my Thunderbird mailbox I opened a message and cliked on a
link sent by a friend. Thunderbird froze, after a few minutes I tried to
open the task manager to kill Thunderbird, but I realized the whole computer
was frozen??? I waited a little more and decided to close down everything and
reboot, but I couldn't even do that??? So I left it for 15-20 minutes and when
I came back there was a whole lot of messages on a black screen, the last of
those messages ended with "kernel panic"???

I hit the power switch and restarted the computer but it wouldn't reboot, I
always get a "Read error" message???

I have an older, 2010, SysRescue CD but, honestly, I don't know how to use
it!!! It rebooted OK from that CD and when I chose the option "Boot from a
Linux image on the Hard Drive" it booted from an old version of the kernel,
2.6.?? but what I had access to was about 18 months old, all my home directory
for example dated of June 2012.

Anyone knows what I should do??? My preferred choice would be to get 12.04
back and running at the point it was when it crashed. My second choice would
be to get my current home directory backed up on a USB drive and then I would
re-install.

Thanks for your support,

Gérald