[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu and/or ubuntu...

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 15:43:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Gary Charvat <g.charvat at snet.net> wrote:

> I hope I’m doing this right…

Hi,
Yes, you are so don't worry :)

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>

> I’m semi-retired and just lost my job – so the lack of something to do has
> urged me to take an unused HP Pavilion Laptop with the following:
>

> AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 @ 1990 MHz w/ 1024 KB Cache
>
> Memory Capacity = 4 GB currently w/ 1 GB
>
> Hard Drives: C: 74.32 GB & D: 74.53 GB for a Total of 148.85 GB
>
> Bios Version: F.33
>
> OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional – Service 3
>

> My project is to first backup all the data to a USB memory stick – AND –
> then to blow-away the operating system, replacing it with Xubuntu w/Xcfe,
> along with several user packages, e.g., LibreOffice or Apache Open Office,
> GNU cash, etc.

It is good to know that you are interested to get rid of Windows XP and go
for Linux :) good decision :)

> In researching my project I read that one should install Xubuntu first,
> and then install Xubuntu w/Xcfe.  Is this correct or does Xubuntu include
> Ubuntu.

1- Go to: http://xubuntu.org/
2- Go to Get Xubuntu
3- If you wish to use the latest Xubuntu which is supported for 9 months
then go for Xubuntu 13.10
4- If you seek stability over latest packages and you want long term
support then go for Xubuntu 12.04.3
5- If your machine is 64bit then you can download the 64bit ISO
6- You need to either create a LiveCD or LiveUSB -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/172570/how-can-i-create-a-livecd-livedvd-liveusb

and then you can install Xubuntu to your machine after of course you backup
all your important files :)

Xubuntu is Ubuntu + XFCE so you don't need to install anything but Xubuntu
to have full XFCE experience :)

I want to be able to work in the command-line as well as the GUI
> environments as my professional background is in Computer Techniques, the
> forerunner to Technical Services, as well as being the IT/MIS Director/Dept
> running an IBM AIX system environment.

Indeed, you will have both CLI and GUI :)

> Regards,
>

> Gary

Should you have any Q, please ask :)

Enjoy and have fun and thank you for choosing Xubuntu!

Best Regards,