[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu Wallpapers 14.04

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Wed Nov 13 15:39:07 UTC 2013

Hey everyone!

With my artwork-hat on, I'm writing to you to announce that we plan to integrate a set of good-looking wallpapers in Xubuntu by default. This is a feature many have been lacking for a while, we repeatedly heard/read about it in reviews. We think this LTS release is the perfect time and we finally want to tackle this issue.

We want the community to participate in this process – so we're looking for your wallpaper submissions!

==== What kind of wallpapers? ====
We've put together a page with guidelines – please follow them as closely as possible.
Submissions that violate those guidelines gravely (e.g. posting sexually explicit images) will be removed from the submissions page without further notice.

If you've participated in Ubuntu's wallpaper contest, these guidelines will look familiar to you:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Trusty/CommunityWallpapers

==== Decision making ====
Our decision making will be transparent, i.e. public and out in the open (we'll hold an IRC meeting in #xubuntu-devel when the decision is due). However, it will be a decision taken by the Xubuntu artwork team, so it's not a wallpaper contest in the sense that everyone with internet access will get to vote.

Our goal is to have a multifaceted set of wallpapers – with respect to motifs and colors (e.g. not "all blue", "only pictures of sky+clouds"). It is hard to say before seeing the final list of submissions how this might change our decision, but it will certainly affect it. (Just to let you know in advance.)

We haven't decided on the amount of wallpapers to include; ultimately, it also depends on the amount of submissions.

==== Where and how to submit ====
You can submit your wallpapers by uploading them to the Xubuntu Wiki here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Trusty/CommunityWallpapers/Submissions
You'll need an Ubuntu Single Sign-On account to be able to attach wallpapers.

Important: Please always include the authors' credit and a link to the original (we need to double-check and possibly get in touch with the authors)!

Looking forward to your wallpaper submissions,
Simon (for the artwork team)