[xubuntu-users] Suddenly my desktop is blank

Mark Trickett tiberopoulos at gmail.com
Wed May 29 08:18:01 UTC 2013

Good day to all. Xubuntu 12.10 x64 – pretty much standard issue.

By 'my desktop', I mean the opening screen that comes up after yu login
which usually has a background and a few icons. Right Click inside
desktop screen also does not work anymore. However, the panels function
as normal - as do the menus, workspaces and a Conky that I have running,
so the system is completely useable. I use Variety to sequence a desktop
background every 5 mins and that is running fine as normal but nothing
is displayed. My desktop is now just plain grey.

I updated libmtp recently from a PPA and also did a bunch of other
updates (I don't update too often) so I assume something got messed up.
Does anyone have any idea how to get my desktop screen back?

xfwm4 –replace does not bring it back. Settings Manager/Desktop seems
perfectly happy. Result is the same if I login with XFCE or Xubuntu
Session. Also same if I disable all startups
(Variety/Conky/Devilspie/Radio Tray).

TIA

Mark