[xubuntu-users] Ghostscript gone?

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue May 21 21:59:11 UTC 2013

On 05/21/2013 08:38 PM, wim dukker wrote:
[...]
> Because i am not a nerd i have a number of questions; e.g.
>
> 1. How do i find out what is is installed at the moment and what not?

dpkg-query --list

> 2. What has cups to do with ghostsript?

CUPS uses Ghostscript to render files into the right format for printing
on the printer specified.

> 3. How do i add / remove a printer in cups etc.

Open http://localhost:631 in your browser

To add: click on Administration then Add Printer

To delete: click on Administration then Manage Printers,
then click the name of the printer and pick Delete Printer from the
Administration drop-down menu.

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php

> for people like me to get a basic understanding of cups, ppd files,
> ghostscript and their relationships?

I don't think there is a single source for that. Amazon shows two books:

CUPS: Common UNIX Printing System by Michael Sweet (2001) [SAMS]

CUPS Administrative Guide: A practical tutorial to installing, managing,
and securing ... by Ankur Shah (2008) [PACKT]

Neither publisher is exactly top of the range, although PACKT tries
hard. I'm surprised O'Reilly doesn't have a CUPS book.

> Bruno: I have explored the thread and it looks promising but first of
> all i need my printer back.
> On this moment if i want to add a printer the program is asking for a
> server ??

What "program" is this?

The "server" is the name or IP address of the computer the printer is
connected to. If the printer is connected to the computer you're
actually working on, then something is screwed up because it should
recognise that automatically and not ask for any server.

///Peter