[xubuntu-users] Printer query

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Sun May 19 20:30:38 UTC 2013

On 05/19/2013 04:02 PM, Dave Hills wrote:

> On 16 May 2013 17:37, "Neil Winchurst" <neilwin at drofle.co.uk
> <mailto:neilwin at drofle.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> I have a desktop computer with an HP Photosmart 5520 printer
> connected via USB and working well.
>>
>> I also look after 3 laptops, mine, the wife's and the daughter's.
>>
>> I have set up shared printing on CUPS on both the desktop and on
>> one
> of the  laptops. When I try out a test print using open office on the
>  laptop the printer is found and I ask it to print but nothing
> happens.
>>
>> When I check on the laptop I see that the job is there but 'The
> printer is not responding'. Checking on the desktop the queue is
> empty.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please, or perhaps what I
>> am
> not doing right.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>
> Hi Neil, I have a Cannon printer and just set it up to connect to my
> WiFi network.  It's then available to the 3 laptops in the house
> without the need for sharing. I still use the USB connection to my
> desktop as they are co-located. This has worked for  Xubuntu 12.04
> and 12.10.
>
> Dave.

Hi Neil, fwiw, I'm running 12.04 (Linux bill-XPS-M1530
3.2.0-43-generic-pae #68-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15 03:55:10 UTC 2013 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux) on both my Dell laptop and desktop. My HP printer
is connected to the desktop via usb cable, the desktop is connected to a
modem/router via ethernet cable, and the laptop to the modem/router via
wifi.

The properties of the printer via the System > Printing menu is as follows:
Location: bill-Inspiron-530
Device URL: ipp://192.168.2.2:631/printers/Deskjet-F300-series
Make & Model: HP Deskjet f300 Series, hpcups 3.12.2 on 192.168.2.2
Device Status: Stopped

I get the same information through the CUPS interface
(192.168.2.3:631/printers/Deskjet-F300-series).

I recall having some trouble getting the laptop to find the printer, and
if I recall, the key was in getting the proper device url (after finding
the correct driver, which took a little experimentation as well). I do
remember that the laptop could not locate the printer on its own.

Hope you get the nagging problem straightened out!

--
Regards,
Bill