[xubuntu-users] Upgrading from Ubuntu to Xunbuntu

Kaj Haulrich kaj.haulrich at adslhome.dk
Wed May 15 20:27:24 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 10:16 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> Most of my machines are running Xubuntu 13.04 but I have one running
> Ubuntu 12.10 and I want to upgrade it to Xubuntu.
>
> But a regular install from USB or CD will want to reformat the disk, of
> course, and the machine has everything in one partition (/)
>
> Is there a way to do it as an upgrade, so that /home is preserved?
>
> I can of course use the backup to copy /home and other stuff back after
> an install, but there's a lot of it, and an upgrade would be faster.

In your place I would do a normal upgrade from Ubuntu 12.10 --> 13.04.
Then, when everything is updated and 13.04 is running smoothly:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

That will install Xubuntu in the the same directories as Ubuntu, keeping
you stuff in /home intact (not alongside as another distro) and you can
run a complete Xubuntu. Just select it when logging in.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 13.10 ---------