[xubuntu-users] Boot hanging before login appears - how to fix?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Mar 29 19:41:31 UTC 2013

Chris Green wrote:
> My xubuntu 12.10 system isn't booting into the GUI, it stops before
> the login appears.

I have a similar problem with 12.04 - I have to log in at the console
and run "sudo stop kdm" and "sudo start kdm". After that it works.

> The end of dmesg shows:-

My problem isn't found with dmesg but have a look at
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log" or "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old". I suppose you will
find something like this near the end of the file:

[   209.380] (II) evdev: BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard: Close
[   209.380] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[   209.380] (II) Unloading evdev
[   209.380] (II) evdev: BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard: Close

It seems like the evdev driver somehow thinks there is a close event and
the X server terminates before it has really started. The event doesn't
always come from the keyboard - sometimes it comes from the power
button, sometimes it is the remote receiver of my analog FM/TV card.
Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. BTW: I'm using the
proprietary nvidia driver, meanwhile I tried various versions of it.

Nils