[xubuntu-users] What's the current program that provides what gnomecard used to do?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Mar 8 22:03:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 04:00:07PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/08/2013 05:38 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:30:38AM +0100, honeyshell wrote:
> >>    firefox do it well :
> >>    [1]https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/how-use-virtual-card-vcard
> >>
> >That's thunderbird rather than firefox.  I don't want an E-Mail program
> >(I use mutt), I want an addressbook manager.  Also it just shows a way
> >of handling vCard attachments, not a way of actually editing, storing
> >and retrieving them for your own use.
> >

> >>    see : [2]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1702751
> >>
> >Not a lot there either, the most likely link is to kaddressbook and
> >that's a KDE program, I really don't want to pull in the KDE libraries,
> >that's why I'm asking here.
> >
> Just for grins I popped open synaptic and searched on vcard
> There is a library just for mutt named lbdb
> Dunno if that is of use for you or not. Installing it shouldn't hurt
> though, just to see what it does. There's not a lot of standalone
> vcard apps, but this looks promising:

Yes, I've searched for vCard in synaptic too.

> "PyCoCuMa (Pythonic Contact and Customer Management) provides a personal
> information system for addresses, telephone numbers and other data
> associated with personal contacts (also supports photographic
> pictures)."
>
> You might find others. I didn't look too hard. :) Ric

pycocuma is about the best I have found so far.  However I'm now
experimenting in a *slightly* different direction.  I have found a
little python application called pycarddav which synchronises directly
between mutt and a carddav server.  It has a few bugs but the developer
is still active (and I can help because I do a little python myself).

--
Chris Green