[xubuntu-users] Getting rid of goutputstream-files

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Mar 3 15:26:03 UTC 2013

Hi :)

nobody wants to start a session with automatically deleting files in
home, but with each shutdown I get another ~/.goutputstream-file.

I wrote a script to get rid of those files for Arch Linux and need help
to adapt it to Ubuntu Quantal.

On Ubuntu Quantal and Arch Linux I get
~/.goutputstream-<followed by 6 signs>, so I decided to start each
session with a script deleting files that are exactly
named .goutputstream-<followed by 6 signs> and that have exactly the
size the unwanted files do have.

For Arch Linux those files are 0 byte and for Ubuntu Quantal they are 48
bytes large.

For Arch Linux I installed

spinymouse at q:~$ ls -l /mnt/archlinux/usr/local/bin/rmgoutputstream
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 112 Mar  3 14:57 /mnt/archlinux/usr/local/bin/rmgoutputstream
spinymouse at q:~$ cat /mnt/archlinux/usr/local/bin/rmgoutputstream
#!/bin/sh
# /usr/local/bin/rmgoutputstream
find ~/.goutputstream-?????? -type f -size 0b -exec rm {} \;
exit 0

And to enable it I run

$ exo-desktop-item-edit --create-new --type Application --name rmgoutputstream --command rmgoutputstream ~/.config/autostart/

For Ubuntu I want to do the same, but I want only to delete files with a
size of 48 bytes, unfortunately -size 48, -size 48b doesn't work.

Regards,
Ralf