[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 12.04 freezes with Firefox? (Patrick Gillespie)

PGillespie vermontpoet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:09:27 UTC 2013

> Using Xubuntu 12.04 and the FF 20, 1gb Ram. The entire desktop becomes
> unusable. The mouse pointer becomes a hand (not a pointer) and while the
> hand moves via the mouse, nothing can be done and the only remedy is to
> hard reboot. I think FF causes this problem. I have heard FF addons can
> cause this...
>
> I have used other "non-Linix" OS's  with FF w/same addons side by side
> for years and this has never happened with the frequency it happens with
> Xubuntu. This is frustrating as I prefer Xubuntu to all other OS's.
> Midori browser has choppy scrolling and responds slowly for some reason.
> Opera and Chrome I find unintuitive.
>
> I wish FF worked better with Xubuntu.

I used to have symptoms like this. FF and Chrome both have serious
memory management issues (Chrome is worse). They'll hog your memory
until everything is forced to swap. That *can* produce the symptoms
you're describing.

Try installing the extension "Memory Restart".  Pay attention to FF's
memory use. You can set FF to automatically restart if it exceeds a
certain memory usage, or manually do so.