[xubuntu-users] How do I create a wifi hotspot using networkmanager?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:51:43 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 07:23 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 07:02 -0700, Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> All the instructions for this that I could find on the internet refer to
>> a button labeled "Use as Hotspot", which is not present on my version of
>> NetworkManager.
>>
>> Can anyone help me find that button, or duplicate the functionality of
>> that button?
>
> Isn't this the same as ad-hoc without security?
> FWIW, ad-hoc never worked for me, neither with NM, nor by any other way.

This worked back when I had Ubuntu. It might have been ad-hoc; I don't
recall. I know it had security because I set a code and had to give it
to my daughter so that she could connect.

It's been a year since I did that, and I have since switched to xubuntu.

I have followed numerous suggestions and instructions from the vastness
of the internet. I have edited a new wifi connection and in the IPv4
setting tab for "method" select "Shared to other computers". I've tried
both ad-hoc and managed, with and without security.

One problem seems to be activating the new connection. Once edited it's
in my collection of stored wifis, but how do I activate it? I can select
it in the pull-down selection after selecting "connect to hidden wifi
networks" from the main menu, but it doesn't seem to turn on the hotspot.

I seem to recall that "use as hotspot" appeared in networkmanager while
I was still using Ubuntu; since I've switched to Xubuntu it's not there.
Granted I haven't paid close attention, and it could be that the "use as
hotspot" button went away in Ubuntu 12.10 and I didn't notice.

--
Michael Shiloh
teachmetomake.com/wordpress

Educational Materials coordinator at Arduino.cc
Electronics, Robotics, Digital Fabrication, and Arduino educator
California College of the Arts
San Francisco Art Institute
San Francisco State University