[xubuntu-users] 3.5 floppy drive (internal or usb) and PLoP

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 19:37:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/20/2013 03:35 AM, James Freer wrote:

>>> I got it working. I entered "floppy" to the search bar of Synaptic and
>>> installed them all. In /etc/group I have a group "floppy" as well. It
>>> took
>>> some dinking with, and it works. I can just plug the USB floppy in and it
>>> is
>>> recognized. Floppies are auto-mounted as well. Ric
>>

>> I've did that but i've still got a problem somehow.
>
> Did you reboot? (damn...sounds to much like advice for Windows Users)
> Maybe enter these search terms for google "floppy drive usb ubuntu"
> and there is a pile of hits. I'm sure I did that as well. Happy time, it
> will work. Mine works now.  You DO have to have a formatted disk IN THE
> DRIVE when you connect it. Otherwise the computer does a quick Hunt The
> Wumpus and sorrily gives up.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/168597/how-do-i-use-a-floppy-drive-in-ubuntu
>
> Adding your user to group "floppy" and identifying the correct device for
> the drive certainly helped. I did have to flail around a bit in google
> before it would work though. I would have written down my steps, but I
> figured I was the last guy in the world to trouble with a floppy drive. :)
> Ric

I don't know but here is what i did. I put Vector Linux (slackware
derivative) which appears to have very good component recognition -
thought being that while the internal 3.5 and 3.5 usb could be
recognised and working on win XP... maybe for some reason not on linux
(unlikely! but worth a try). Formatted a disk in each ok.

It would seem that there is a problem somehow with xubuntu 12.04. I
tried 13.04 which i hadn't got round to installing as i've been
sticking with LTS. Result... works fine - floppy icon back on the desk
top along with the usb one. I regret to say that i found the 'Precise'
release... "Imprecise". I thought all the LTS versions were better
developed and tested. Precise in my view is one of the poor ones.

Thanks to those that offered help. Now that i've got a usb and PLoP on
a CD i think i'll be installing the 6 month releases from now on.

james