[xubuntu-users] 3.5 floppy drive (internal or usb) and PLoP

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 19:39:52 UTC 2013

On 07/20/2013 03:35 AM, James Freer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/18/2013 05:51 PM, James Freer wrote:
>>>
>>> [using xubuntu 12.04]
>>>
>>> I would be grateful if someone could advise whether xubuntu reads the
>>> floppy drive either internal or remote usb. I have found that it
>>> DOESN'T. Ubuntu when i used it back in the days of 8.04 did but i
>>> don't know if xubuntu ever has.
>>>
>>> WHY ON EARTH!!!! ... i'm sure will be the cry... should one want to
>>> use 3.5 floppy... i'll explain!
>>>
>>> Yesterday a memstick decided to die (only about 6 months ago did
>>> another give trouble), so i have decided to stop using them... it
>>> would seem that the SD cards (and the other sizes) seem a better means
>>> of media storage... todate i have had no trouble with them. For
>>> temporary storage worth using as one can utilise them for the camera
>>> as well when required.
>>>
>>> Two reasons for this post
>>> - i want to use an older pc for compiling and testing on rather than
>>> risk messing up my main two year old pc. Its a P3 and although old
>>> actually runs very well... seems Compaq were better made than later
>>> pc's... well i think so looking at this motherboard. But the cdrom
>>> isn't working and it seems new one's aren't available (and of course
>>> *buntu isos have gone over the CD 700mb limit. It does have a 3.5
>>> floppy.
>>> - i was thinking of using PLoP on the 3.5 floppy (which is available)
>>> and then installing from the remote usb or remote usb DVD sata drive.
>>>
>>> So is this possible and why does one use unetbootin to put the iso on
>>> usb if using PLoP. I can't see why one can't just copy the iso to the
>>> usb as PLoP provides the boot. [Suppose the other excuse for this idea
>>> is the fact that i've got five 3.5 floppy drives so it wouldn't hurt
>>> to use a one or two instead of gathering dust]
>>

>> I got it working. I entered "floppy" to the search bar of Synaptic and
>> installed them all. In /etc/group I have a group "floppy" as well. It took
>> some dinking with, and it works. I can just plug the USB floppy in and it is
>> recognized. Floppies are auto-mounted as well. Ric
>
> I've did that but i've still got a problem somehow.
Did you reboot? (damn...sounds to much like advice for Windows Users)
Maybe enter these search terms for google "floppy drive usb ubuntu"
and there is a pile of hits. I'm sure I did that as well. Happy time, it
will work. Mine works now.  You DO have to have a formatted disk IN THE
DRIVE when you connect it. Otherwise the computer does a quick Hunt The
Wumpus and sorrily gives up.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/168597/how-do-i-use-a-floppy-drive-in-ubuntu

Adding your user to group "floppy" and identifying the correct device
for the drive certainly helped. I did have to flail around a bit in
google before it would work though. I would have written down my steps,
but I figured I was the last guy in the world to trouble with a floppy
drive. :) Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /