[xubuntu-users] 2014 Rolling release?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 29 00:48:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 01:31:15 +0100, bob <bob.currie at bulkley.net> wrote:
> Generally as time goes by bugs get fixed and systems improve in
> stability.  This is less likely to be the case with a rolling release
> model-the new versions will have new bugs.

This is completely nonsense. Add a testing repository, ask the community
to sign off packages and you get the most stable distro possible, a good
example for this practice is Arch Linux.

The drawback for rolling releases are exotic and very seldom transitions,
Arch Linux and Ubuntu are good examples for this.

The transition to upstart by Ubuntu didn't cause serious issues, but the
transition to systemd for Arch Linux did cause a lot of trouble. But how
often do we have such extreme transitions? I can't remember a second
transition like that.

Be aware that I'm a Ubuntu user, but it doesn't help us to claim something
that is nonsense. For good reasons I'm using other distros too.