[xubuntu-users] [SPAM]Re: 2014 Rolling release?

Herold Treibs treibs at srv.net
Mon Jan 28 04:22:53 UTC 2013

On 1/27/2013 5:31 PM, David Guerra wrote:
> Their attitude or yours?  Seems they decided not to change something
> and you don't like that.
>
> Rolling Release or not, Ubuntu is still the best solution for most
> linux users.
>

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
> <mailto:jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dgerard at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > On 27 January 2013 22:50, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Marc Coevoet <marcc at dommel.be
>     <mailto:marcc at dommel.be>> wrote:
>     >
>     >>> A rolling release is one thing, somebody at xubuntu that makes
>     an iso
>     >>> another.  An iso is made fast, as there are tools for it.
>     >
>     >> Obviously sad days for *buntu family - not like it was in
>     2007/2008.
>     >
>     >
>     > I can see the point - and frankly, Canonical has inflicted some
>     > horrible things on the users in the name of achieving internal
>     annual
>     > evaluation goals for the employees. A rolling release won't be worse
>     > than Debian sid, and we can at least be warned when things are about
>     > to go funny (e.g. Xubuntu 4.8 -> 4.10).
>     >
>     >
>     > - d.
>
>     I have much to thank them for as it was Ubuntu that got me into the
>     linux world. I started using Xubuntu before Unity came along... in the
>     last couple of years 8-10 new ubuntu derivatives have started. I've
>     started to look elsewhere now. Attitude now is different.
>
>     james
>
>     --

I have not been happy with Ubuntu the last couple of years, and I read
of more and more people grumbling about it.  I built a new computer a
couple of months ago, and have only Mint running on it. I like what I
see.  If you no longer like Ubuntu or Xubuntu or Kubuntu, maybe you
should give Mint a try.  It comes in two "flavors," Mate and Cinnamon.
You can install both and choose the one that you want.
I still use Windows, dual-booting with some distribution of Linux, when
I am writing, as I like to use Corel WordPerfect.  Corel tried to port
WordPerfect to their distribution of Linux (Caldera) several years ago,
but could not get it to work without crashing frequently, so they gave
up and it now runs only on Windows.  I have tried Open Office and
LibreOffice Writer, but do not feet comfortable with either of them.
For now, I will be using mostly Mint and Windows (XP or 7, not 8).
Herold