[xubuntu-users] Package manager error

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 26 05:08:03 UTC 2013

On 26/01/13 14:55, David Guerra wrote:
> We need to know what you're trying to install.
>
> Click the Applications icon > Accessories > Terminal Emulator
>
> Then type:
>
> sudo apt-get --just-print upgrade
>
> Provide us the output of that.

Thanks for your reply David,

phil at A100:/var/lib/apt/lists$ sudo apt-get --just-print upgrade
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/au.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

> Then run:
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Provide us the output of that as well.

phil at A100:/var/lib/apt/lists$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/au.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I've researched this problem a little more and I think the problem is at
the Australian server. Do you think that is correct?

--
Regards,
Phil