[xubuntu-users] Starting Xubuntu 12.10 with a custom XSession

metwarp at lavabit.com metwarp at lavabit.com
Thu Jan 10 17:06:43 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to start Xubuntu 12.10 desktop with a custom ~/.xinitrc
script.  I've created the following files:

/usr/share/xsessions/xsession.desktop:

    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Xsession
    Exec=/etc/X11/Xsession

~/.xinitrc:

    #!/usr/bin/env bash

    export XDG_DATA_DIRS="/usr/share/xubuntu:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/"
    export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu:/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg"
    export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="xfce-"

    exec startxfce4

Initially I was trying to start the Xubuntu session by just adding
startexec4 to ~/.xinitrc (since this seems to be what both
xubuntu.desktop and xfce.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions/ call).  But
this only started a vanilla XFCE4 session.  So I assumed LightDM must be
doing something different.

Digging a little deeper I found that in older versions of Xubuntu there
used to be a /usr/share/xubuntu/xsession.sh script which started the
Xubuntu session.

>From this discussion on Launchpad[1], I learned that the script
essentially sets up some XDG_...  environment variables.  I added these
to the ~/.xinitrc script.  This does load some of the Xubuntu settings -
but not all.  I don't get the old settings for compositing, font
aliasing etc.  So, how do I properly launch the Xubuntu session?

Thanks!

[1]: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/157817