[xubuntu-users] Can not login as root

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Tue Jan 1 17:27:14 UTC 2013

On 01/01/13 18:20, Tim wrote:
> On 01/01/13 14:51, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>> Please note that:
>>
>> 1) If you need to run graphical applications with root privileges,
>> there is 'gksudo' for that [1]
>> 2) It is highly discouraged to login graphically as root, and if you
>> can't do something without, it's a bug in the software
>> 3) Enabling the root account will "void your warranty", eg. your
>> system will be officially unsupported after doing it
>>
>> To read more about root/sudo in Ubuntu, refer to the Ubuntu wiki
>> RootSudo page [2].
>>
>> Also: In the future, please refrain from posting questions or advice
>> on how to enable the root account to this mailing list.
>>
>> Yt,
>> Pasi
>>
>> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo
>> [2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
>>
> In reference to your comment No. 3, since when did xubuntu come with
> any warranty? All OS's are provided on an as is basis use at your own
> risk

Yes. That's why the phrase was in quotes; of course there is no real
warranty for the system anyway.

This is a bit more abstract with community support, but since we can't
know all the implications of enabling the root account, it might be
possible that we aren't able to answer some of the most trivial
questions related to Xubuntu if you've done that.

> In reference to your final comment "re not posting question about
> logging in as root", is the op supposed to live in ignorances? Joshua
> earlier posted explained and informed the reason as to why the user
> should not login into a gui as root and supplied information on how to
> do so if the op still needed with out sounding like a pompous arse. If
> you don't ask question you don't learn

I confess that was suboptimally said.

Nobody is supposed to live in ignorance; the better form would simply be
"don't post advice how to enable root". This is since posts to mailing
lists are virtually indestructible after they've landed and we don't
want a random user to find that mail only and enabling their root account.

The above is especially true when that advice is given without even
knowing what the real problem of the OP is.

I'm sorry if I offended or caused any inconvenience (none was meant).
Still, please remember to keep the language family-friendly.

Cheers,
Pasi