[xubuntu-users] Desktop fails to start after login - after 13.04 to 13.10 upgrade

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 21:48:21 UTC 2013

There's so much baggage stored in your home directory, though, that it
seems like preserving it across a reinstall would negate half of the
advantages of doing a reinstall in the first place.

Case in point: Chris' issue was solved by getting rid of a corrupt xfce4
config in his home directory. Chances are, if he had /home on a separate
partition and reinstalled the OS, the problem would still be there.

Personally, I just make backups of /home, /etc, and /opt (the latter being
where I install stuff that doesn't come from an APT repo) to a remote drive
(e.g. another computer on the LAN) so that I can hand-migrate stuff back
after a reinstall.

Regarding using synaptic to reinstall packages: Does it know to mark
dependency packages as automatically installed, or does it end up marking
everything as manually installed? I hate having dependencies listed as
manually installed, because it means they don't then get removed if I
remove the only packages that depend on them.