[xubuntu-users] Desktop fails to start after login - after 13.04 to 13.10 upgrade

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Dec 27 19:21:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:57:24AM -0800, Benjamin Shadwick wrote:
>    If reinstalling xubuntu from scratch is an option, then it's a good idea
>    because there may be other things that went wrong in the upgrade.

Yes, but there's quite a lot of custom additions to the system which
would be a real pain to redo.  I *occasionally* do a clean re-install
from scratch but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to.

(If I do have to do a clean install is there any easy way of at least
adding all the extras that I have added, all from standard repositories)

>    What method did you use to do the upgrade? Were there any conflicts
>    reported? Did the update appear to complete successfully?

I upgraded from the 'software updater' pop-up, no errors reported that I
noticed, just a couple of fairly minor 'should I replace this customised
config file' type questions.

>    Random things to try:
>    - Check /var/log/syslog for error/warning messages.

Nothing noticeable, it all looks like it's working.

>    - While not logged into the GUI desktop, rename the ~/.config/xfce4
>    directory and then try to log into the desktop. This will result in the
>    use of default XFCE desktop settings for your account.

OK, I'll try that.

>    - Uninstall and reinstall the xubuntu-desktop metapackage. Also do an
>    apt-get autoremove *after* reinstalling the metapackage (but *not* before
>    or during) to see if any unneeded packages are hanging around causing
>    conflicts (but make sure to consider carefully whether you believe that
>    any are needed).

OK, will try that too, report back in a little while.

>    On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Chris Green <[1]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>      I just upgraded my system from xubuntu 13.04 to 13.10.
>
>      It now just hangs after the login screen.  I enter my password, I get
>      the screen with the xubuntu mouse in the middle and *no* mouse cursor
>      and that's it.
>
>      Help!  How can I sort this out?  I can login remotely via ssh still and
>      I can also login via ctrl/alt/<number> so can do things to the system to
>      fix it - but what do I need to do?
>      --
>      Chris Green
>
>      --