[xubuntu-users] Desktop fails to start after login - after 13.04 to 13.10 upgrade

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 18:57:24 UTC 2013

If reinstalling xubuntu from scratch is an option, then it's a good idea
because there may be other things that went wrong in the upgrade.

What method did you use to do the upgrade? Were there any conflicts
reported? Did the update appear to complete successfully?

Random things to try:
- Check /var/log/syslog for error/warning messages.
- While not logged into the GUI desktop, rename the ~/.config/xfce4
directory and then try to log into the desktop. This will result in the use
of default XFCE desktop settings for your account.
- Uninstall and reinstall the xubuntu-desktop metapackage. Also do an
apt-get autoremove *after* reinstalling the metapackage (but *not* before
or during) to see if any unneeded packages are hanging around causing
conflicts (but make sure to consider carefully whether you believe that any
are needed).