[xubuntu-users] Fwd: xfce menu editing

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sat Dec 21 19:01:42 UTC 2013

Forwarding.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	xfce menu editing
Date: 	Sat, 21 Dec 2013 15:33:15 +0000
From: 	Harry Scott <harry.scott at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: 	xubuntu-users-owner at lists.ubuntu.com

I have difficulty editing the xfce desktop menu on Xubuntu 13.10.
The default menu is available for editing by selecting properties.
Unfortunately, the menu then shown is not the same as that used for
selecting applications on the desktop.
I noticed this when trying to install the latest Supertuxkart game (8.2)
which I downloaded from their site. The game plays after decompression
by selecting run_game.sh. It can be added to the menu, but it won't
allow setting it under 'games' it puts it under 'other'. It will not run
when called giving an error caption about not finding the file and when
attempting to re-edit it has disappeared.
If I use ubuntu software centre the menu shows SuperTuxKart under
'games' as would be expected.
Why doesn't the system allow editing of the menu using alacarte as in
previous versions?